Friday, October 11, 2013

"In the regular world, Halloween is when children dress up in costumes and beg for candy. In Girl World, Halloween is the one night a year when a girl can dress like a total slut and no other girls can say anything about it."*


   Okay, so I know Halloween weeks away, but I’ve been trying to brainstorm an amazing costume idea for two weeks already because a. I have a fun Halloween party to go to and I already know about it so I am obligated and at leisure to plan and 2. I want to have a great, non-slutty costume all ready to go so I don’t get caught with my pants down (literally or figuratively).
   I tend to lean towards movie characters or Golden Age movie stars—I was Holly Golightly last year (and ended up having the sluttiest costume at that particular party, ironically).  But I would like to shoot for the stars this year, since Halloween really does matter to me. But I’d also like to avoid buying a wig, since, having disposed of my handy wig collection many years ago, I don’t really feel like heading down that road again. Wigs are expensive, so you end up keeping them, storing them, thinking you’ll use them again. And the next thing you know you’re a senior in college with a box full of wigs and no place to put it so you bust it out at dinner parties after you graduate and your landlord drops by unannounced and thinks you’re some sort of “dominatrix” weirdo when all you were trying to do was put your hair pieces to some good use. For an example.
   So I’ve been doing some scrolling through the Interwebs and hoping for inspiration to strike me. I’ve considered 80’s icons (Cyndi Lauper, Prince [Prince, Prince, Prince!], Freddie Mercury, and Pat Benetar). I’ve thought about 80’s movie characters (Baby from Dirty Dancing, Mrs. White from Clue). I’ve even considered revisiting some of the classic horror films (Regan from The Exorcist, Rhoda from The Bad Seed, Jane Hudson from What Ever Happened to Baby Jane?, Melanie Daniels from The Birds). 
Scary Rhoda from The Bad Seed.

   It was when I started really thinking about scary movies that it occurred to me that you SHOULD be scary on Halloween. If at all possible, your costume should have some element of horror or science fiction or thriller about it. And the more horror films and SCI-FI classics I thought of, the more I realized that most of those evil women characters, or even the female victims in those movies are BLONDES.
   Maybe you’ve already thought of this yourself, but if you haven’t, consider this:
REGAN, The Exorcist (Blonde—and later greenish, but mostly blonde)
RHODA, The Bad Seed (Blonde. Very, very blonde.)
JANE HUDSON, What Ever Happened to Baby Jane? (Scary, haunt-your-nightmares blonde.)
NELL, The Haunting (Annoying, hope-she-dies-soon blonde)
LAMIA, Stardust (Gorgeous and also hideous blonde)
CLAUDIA, Interview With a Vampire (Still blonde)
THE CHILDREN, Children of the Corn (Holy god, they’re blonde)
HITCHCOCK, Separate category (yeah, I know, he was obsessed with blondes)
Joan Fontaine (Suspicion, Rebecca)
Grace Kelly (To Catch a Thief, Dial M for Murder, Rear Window)
Doris Day (The Man Who Knew Too Much)
Eva Marie Saint (North by Northwest)
Janet Leigh (Psycho)
Tippi Hedren (The Birds, Marnie)
Blonde. Melanie Daniels.

   What the what? Why are all these scary ladies (or leading ladies in scary movies) blondes? Admittedly, blondes have more fun, but I thought being a brunette was supposed to be especially awesome because we are the embodiment of evil (you know, dark forces and what-not…and aren’t witches usually brunettes?). Cinema is saying otherwise, however, and unless I want to go as a Disney version of a bad lady (Malificent, Ursula, Snow White’s Stepmom—most recently portrayed in the movies by Charlize Theron, a blonde—or one of the Wicked Stepsisters), I’m stuck buying a blonde wig.
   Which bums me out a little bit.
   I should quit complaining. I guess as long as I don't dress like a whore, I'm okay. Unless I decide to go as an actual whore, in which case I can (and should) dress as one. They're usually not as pretty as you'd think, though, from my own personal experience.
   But I'll probably just go buy a wig.
   And, if you want to know the truth, I do look pretty scary with blonde hair. 
*Mean Girls (Mark Waters, 2004).



1 comment:

  1. Hi!!! I'm here catching up "with" (more like "on", I guess) you cuz of your sweet voicemail and I just have to tell you that for Halloween, Marisol went as one of the scariest girls ever: Samara from "The Ring", with long, black hair driddling over her face. (Who, you might ask, would let Marisol even know about the existence of Samara?

    ReplyDelete