Saturday, December 17, 2011

"If the phone doesn't ring, it's me."*

            I don’t like it when I’m trying to get off the telephone with someone and they cut me off and say, “Well, I’d love to talk more, but I’m really busy right now, so I’m going to have to let you go.”

            No! I’M going to have to let YOU go.

            It’s not a popularity contest. Don’t act like I am the one trying to continue the conversation and you are the one with a busy social calendar and a pressing need to hang up. I was ALREADY trying to hang up! I beat you!

            I’m not sure why it’s important to be the first one to end a telephone conversation. It’s not like there’s any shame in being the person who doesn’t come up with the idea. But somehow it’s become the telephone version of getting stood up or dumped, or being the first one to say, “I love you.” It just feels desperate to be sitting there on the line ready to keep talking when another person suddenly realizes that they’ve had enough of you.

            But it’s not fair when you are the one who was planning to get off the phone and the other person steals your thunder. It’s like breaking up with your boyfriend preemptively, because your best friend told you he was planning to break up with you.  

            No one gets to think they have the upper hand over me in THIS conversation!

            Why don’t we just start ending the phone calls twenty seconds in? Or say “Hello” and then see who can hang up faster? It’s a game of telephone chicken.

            This issue doesn't really matter. It just makes me mad.


*The quote is the title of a Jimmy Buffett song.

1 comment:

  1. I HAD to have that phone in High School. You use the BEST pictures! They crack me up.

    ReplyDelete